The STM7 microscopes offer excellent versatility and high performance three axis measurements of parts and electrical components, with sub-micron precision. Whether samples are small or large, simple or complex, or measurements are being taken by a novice or an expert, the Olympus STM7 range features measuring microscopes tailored to fit your needs.
- Accurate Measurements through the Integration of an Optical Microscope and Advanced Measurement Capability
- The STM7 was Designed with Emphasis on Ease of Use
- Accessories that Widen the Range of Observation and Measurement
- Automated Focusing System Provides Superior Repeatability
- System for Achieving More Advanced Measurement
Accurate Measurements through the Integration of an Optical Microscope and Advanced Measurement Capability
Observation Performance Refined through Years of Microscope Development
The STM7 series uses the same UIS2 infinity-corrected optical system used in state-of-the-art optical microscopes. As a result, observed images have high resolution and high contrast, with aberration thoroughly eliminated to help ensure highly accurate measurement in minute detail.
Measurement Reliability Enhanced with a Stage-Mounting Plate Crafted from Stone
To provide further assurance of measurement accuracy, the STM7 series uses a highly durable, vibration-resistant frame with a granite surface plate. As a result of this stability, measurements can be taken at sub-micron-levels while ensuring minimal error.
Continuing to Provide User-friendly, High-Precision, 3-axis Measurement as a Pioneer of Height Measurement
As modern manufacturing technology becomes increasingly miniaturized and precise, highly accurate measurements are even more essential—not only along the horizontal XY axes, but also along the Z-axis. Olympus has responded to such needs by being the fi rst to realize an autofocus system for measuring microscopes by means of the reflective active, confocal method.
Dependable Quality Based On a Strict Traceability System
The accuracy of Olympus’ measuring microscopes is controlled by a strict traceability system and Olympus even offers traceable calibration at the time of installation.
The STM7 was Designed with Emphasis on Ease of Use
Offering Stages to Fit the Sample Size at Hand
- Short measurement stroke precludes the measurement of larger samples.
- Sample rotation required to compensate for shorter Y than X-axis coverage during measurement is time inefficient. Until now, large stages have offered a sufficient measurement coverage on the X-axis, but only less coverage on the Y-axis.
- Due to the narrow measurement range, it is impossible to line up large numbers of samples on the stage for measurement at once.
- Four types of stages are available, each with a unique square measurement stroke (choose from 50 mm x 50 mm, 100 mm x 100 mm, 200 mm x 200 mm, and 300 mm x 300 mm). From small to large size samples, there is a stage that fits the sample being measured.
- A clutch system enables rapid switching between coarse and fine movements. Thanks to this switching function, the stage can also be moved rapidly along the X- and Y-axes, and freely across the XY plane.
- The 300 mm square length stage enables the same measurement stroke to apply to both the X and Y-axes, which means it can be used to measure large samples, such as 300 mm wafers and printed circuit boards without changing their orientation.
Use the Same Microscope for Both Low- and High-Magnification Observations
- Most conventional measuring microscopes only accept a measuring objective or metallurgical objective, and so are unable to meet the requirements for a wide variety of observations.
- The STM7 accepts both a metallurgical objective and a measuring objective by exchanging a revolving nosepiece with a measuring objective adapter. This means that the STM7 combines both metallurgical optics and measuring optics in one microscope. In this way, the STM7 series satisfi es a range of needs, no matter whether measuring a wide area or tiny region, measuring the size of differences betwe en levels, or assisting the user in deciding on the best observation method to choose.
Because the measuring objectives have an extremely long working distance, they provide confidence when focusing on samples with large peaks and troughs while reducing worries of the objective coming into contact with the sample.
Furthermore, their low-magnifi cation capability enables wide areas to be observed in a single view.
Metallurgical objectives enable high-magnifi cation, highresolution observation capability comparable to that of optical microscopes. What’s more, these objectives can be used not only for brightfield, but also for darkfield and DIC observation.
> Click here for details about UIS2 objective lenses
Manual and Motorized Focusing Model Options
The STM7 Line Includes both Manual and Motorized Focus Options
Focus control is available with either manual or motorized operation. Choose the model that addresses your needs in terms of samples and measurement content, regardless of stage size—with all frames incorporating a linear scale for the Z-axis that enables 3-axis measurement.
Manual Z-axis Focus Models
Manual Z-axis focus models offer excellent cost performance—with familiar handle operation for rapid vertical movement that offers convenience for users who needs to measure samples with variety of heights.
Motorized Z-axis Focus Models
Operability is improved and handling fatigue is reduced for focus and height measurements when using the motorized focus unit. The coaxial knobs for coarse and fine movement offer a feeling similar to manual operation, while the models can also be equipped with an autofocus unit.
A Revolutionary Control Unit Refines Measuring Microscope Usability
- Additional functions require additional operational units. Operators can’t always locate the corresponding unit quickly, which significantly reduces measurement efficiency.
- Numerous operational units and their power supplies around the main unit occupy valuable working space.
With the STM7 series, a single controller makes it possible to perform virtually all measuring microscope operations, including use of readout reset, illumination control, focusing, and autofocus. For efficiency and convenience, the unit can be placed wherever you wish and operated easily with one hand.
The power supply and transmission for each unit are combined in a single control box. This preserves maximal work space even when a range of optional functions, such as the focus navigator, are added.
Automatic Light Intensity Adjustment Greatly Improves the Efficiency of Observation and Measurement
- Analog volume adjustment used by conventional measuring microscopes does not enable the quantitative assessment of light intensity, which can lead to variability in measured values as light intensity changes.
- With conventional measuring microscopes, light intensity may need to be adjusted every time the objective is switched—making for an inefficient workflow.
Close Control through a Quantitative Digital Display of Light Intensity Values
Light Intensity Manager Eliminates the Need for Manual Adjustment
Light intensity manager can be used with the coded revolving nosepiece configuration. The coded revolving nosepiece automatically detects the switching of objectives. This allows the illumination method and light intensity to be registered for each objective, and adjusted automatically during measurements when the objective is switched. Now there is no need to manually adjust light intensity, which used to be required with every switch between magnifications.
A Detachable Digital Read Out for Preferred Location Enables Swift, Convenient Checking of Measurement Results and Equipment Status
- The need to check the operation status of equipment, such as illumination, or measured values on individual units makes overall operation cumbersome.
Digital Indicator Enables the Current Operation Status to be Verified Visually
The indicator displays the device status and settings. The minimum X, Y, and Z-axis values can be switched between 0.1 μm and 1 μm, and the display units can be switched between mm, μm, inches and mil.
Detachable Digital Readout Allows for Individual Preference and Placement
Whether attached to the frame or a desk, the placement of the detachable digital readout is up to the individual user. While standing to take measurements, it can be placed on the side of the frame at almost the same height as the site of observation for an exceptional and easy view. When operating from a sitting position, such as observation or measurements on a monitor via a digital camera or when using the motorized Z-axis focusing model, simply place the digital readout and hand controller on the desk.
Automated Focusing System Provides Superior Repeatability
Achieve Faster, Simpler, More Accurate Height Measurement
- When doing visual measurement, variations can arise in the height measurements between different operators. Furthermore, this measurement method is time-consuming and inefficient.
Simple and Highly-Precise Focusing System with Superior Repeatability
The Olympus’ focus navigator delivers highly reproducible height measurement by projecting a pattern within the fi eld of view and identifying vertical deviations. Slight errors can occur in height measurements taken with normal visual observation, even when focus appears to be sharp. The focus navigator, however, enables measurements to be made simply by matching up the marks—thereby reducing operator subjectivity in measurement results.
Autofocus Advantage for Fast and Highly Accurate Height Measurement
- During visual measurement, the results of height measurement can vary between different operators.
- Manual height measurement requires the operator to repeatedly move the stage and adjust the focus with the handle, making measurement time-consuming and inefficient.
- Focusing on minute objects, such as bonding wires, is difficult.
Dedicated Autofocus Unit: Outstanding Reproducibility and Focusing Speed
The STM7 dedicated autofocus unit allows highly accurate height measurements to be made with minimal time, regardless of the level of operator experience. Use of the reflective active, confocal method provides a stable focal point independent of surface roughness or a slanting sample surface, while the small laser diameter enables the use of autofocus, even on minute objects, such as bonding wires.
Instantaneously takes autofocus from a roughly focused state to sharp focus located at the center of the field of view.
The featured TRACK Mode provides autofocus that tracks the peaks and troughs of the sample, even if the stage is moved, keeping the image continually in focus. This advancement greatly improves the efficiency of Z-axis measurements by enabling observations to be made without taking your hands off the X and Y handles.
Accessories that Widen the Range of Observation and Measurement
Coded Revolving Nosepiece
Combining a coded revolving nosepiece with a digital camera lets you display the objective magnification on-screen during observation and allows you to record that magnification.
This convenient feature allows information on your sample and the objective’s magnification to be recorded at the same time when recording a sample.
MM6-EMO/ Erect Image Monocular Tube
STM7-FS/ Foot Switch
SZ-LW61/ White LED Illumination Unit
This light-weight, space-saving design model provides a long operating life and low power consumption. The cost-effective LED illumination unit is also free from the flickering and brightness fluctuation.
SZX2-ILR66+SZX-RHS/ LED Ring Illuminator+Manual Control Unit
SZX-RHS manual control unit enables independent illumination of four-segments of the SZX2-ILR66 reflected LED ring illuminator, which provides clear images with high color temperature. The optimal illumination can be selected from 13 patterns.
Enables easy parallel alignment of sample.
System for Achieving More Advanced Measurement
Measurement Support System
The ability to clearly and easily see the output display component of measuring microscopes is essential. That is why the new Olympus measuring software has been created, helping to deliver complex measurements with greater accuracy. The software also enables the use of digital cameras.